Accelerating the future of connected vehicles
COVESA is an open, collaborative and impactful technology alliance; accelerating the full potential of connected vehicles.
Working together, we are a force-multiplier, creating a more diverse, sustainable and integrated mobility ecosystem.
The Connected Vehicle Systems Alliance (COVESA), formerly known as the GENIVI Alliance, is a global, member-driven alliance focused on the development of open standards and technologies that accelerate innovation for connected vehicle systems, resulting in a more diverse, sustainable and integrated mobility ecosystem.
COVESA is the only alliance focused solely on developing open standards and technologies for connected vehicles, which now form a growing percentage of vehicles on the road. Leveraging vehicle data and vehicle-to-cloud connectivity has become a primary goal of automakers and their suppliers.
COVESA is well-positioned as an experienced collaborative community given its strong foundation of introducing the Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS) and having launched with W3C the Common Vehicle Interface Initiative in 2019. Members are encouraged to build on this foundation by introducing projects that deliver specifications, open source licensed software and related materials that equip the industry with useful assets for commercial solution development.
COVESA welcomes new members to add to its strong, active base of current members working together to shape the future technologies of connected vehicles and the mobility ecosystem.
The growing vibrant ecosystem brings buyers and sellers together to accomplish business goals, supporting the adoption of alliance member driven results. Member contributions also power the future of integrated shared systems that in turn, benefit and complement their own businesses and product priorities.
COVESA members launch and contribute to a variety of collaborative projects that advance the mobility ecosystem and focus on accelerating connected vehicle systems. Active projects include:
Data Expert Group
- Vehicle Signal Specification (VSS): A common approach for describing vehicle data and is a widely adopted, developer-friendly, extensible data model and catalog with industry-supported tooling.
- Vehicle Signal Specification Ontology (VSSo) facilitates the use of VSS in analytics and services.
- Vehicle API: Exposes vehicle data as defined and described by VSS to a variety of agreed upon touch-points in and out of the vehicle.
- Vehicle Service Catalog (VSC): A standardized, extensible vehicle service catalog and associated tools to enable protocol, language, and specification-agnostic interoperability between ECUs, infotainment, and cloud.
- Vehicle Information Service Specification: A joint effort between W3C and COVESA hosted by W3C. It is a service for accessing vehicle information, signals from sensors on control units within a vehicle's network. It exposes this information using COVESA VSS.
Electric Vehicle Charging Expert Group
- EV Charging Event Data Aggregation Project focuses on the standardization of data and APIs that will enable and leverage shared big data at a large scale to deliver great charging experiences.
- EV Optimization - Increase Travel Range for Fixed Battery team aims to develop a standard specification for power optimization and demonstrate features/scenarios by POC.
- Automotive Cybersecurity Team addresses a growing number of standards and topics enhancing cybersecurity in the vehicle.
Android™ Automotive SIG
- Android™ Automotive SIG focuses on software integration and supporting automakers and their suppliers who are adopting Android Automotive.
Simulation & Tooling
- digital.auto aims to support OEMs in the adoption of VSS, SdV and COVESA standards by making it easy to rapidly explore the feasibility of new business ideas and features through an online playground.
Vehicle Experience and Content – Entertainment BoF
- In-Vehicle Payment SIG explores standard and novel approaches for in-vehicle commerce and payments.
COVESA code is openly available in GitHub and more information on COVESA projects can be found on the COVESA Wiki.
COVESA welcomes collaboration on all connected vehicle projects supporting in-vehicle, on-edge and in-cloud services, interfaces and data exchange. Members enjoy a variety of benefits including participating in a vibrant buyers and sellers network.
Organizations interested in joining the Alliance can visit covesa.global/join and information about technical participation in COVESA projects can be found on the COVESA Wiki. COVESA members who are interested in joining the COVESA Marketing Team, please email email@example.com.